Oh my poor gardens, how you’ve been neglected. But its time for a facelift! The plan was originally to use a Dingo Digger to do the heavy work, but my husband’s work is busy (oh who am I kidding it is alway busy! We have a family run business. His trade is sadly a dying trade, along with the 12 to 15 hour days on a big service – makes it very hard to find tradies) Hence the next 4 weekends are busy. How frustrating as now is the time to be planting! So me being impatient I decided to just get in and start the gardens. Here is a before shot of the five beds weedy and over grown. You can see the kikuya coming up in the front garden.
Firstly I started by digging out all the dirt. I took me 3 days working around rain and a one year olds sleep time. I have to mention the worm numbers were amazing – dozens of the buggers! Next up the old plastic was removed, the wooden supports in the frame inspected – perfect! and the new plastic laid out. Pegs are great for keeping it straight.
Time to fill with dirt again. But first we have placed a watering pipe in the base of the bed (I forgot to take pictures of this, but there is still 4 other beds to go)
This time in the beds I am layering it with Lucerne mulch. For this bed I’ve used the rather expensive chopped in a plastic bag variety. (I missed the rural store by 20 minutes!) In future I will be using farm bales. They are slightly cheaper and will go further.
The method I’m using is inspired from Esther Deans ‘No Dig Gardens.’ Other layers in the garden included compost (brought of course because I cannot make compost!) blood and bone, organic booster (the BFA version of dynamic lifter) and dirt.
4 more beds3 beds to refill (more on this one later)
- hook up dripper line
- sow seeds!